da-dali made this with her own blood
you better be there
Come see me read brand new work and try to win money for charity!
Andrew Holmgren woodcut. image Courtesy of Ellen Von Wiegand.
Be sure to visit the Punch Line booth at #OddballFest at the Shoreline this Fri, and at #comedyday this Sun for a chance to win free tickets and prizes!
If This Isn’t Proof You Should Go to Humboldt for Savage Henry Magazine Comedy Festival, You’re An Idiot
Bum a ride. Bribe a producer. Call in sick. If you don’t have a dog sitter, BRING YA DAMN DOG!
Everybody’s whose been wants to go back. Everybody who missed it, is kicking themselves profusely. Humboldt County is a beautiful place and the good folks at Savage Henry Magazine make it the perfect comedian vacation going three years strong.
Look at how happy everyone is! Stop playing, go to the Savage Henry Magazine Comedy Fest (even if you’re not on it). Just. Go.
5 Reasons You Should Go The Mission Position (Specifically on Sept 11th 2014)
That’s right, I’ve lowered myself to writing lists, but fuck it, trends are made to be bandwaggoned. Here are 5 reasons why you should go to the live album recording The Mission Position on 9/11/14.
- It’s Geographically Accurate: The Mission Position actually DOES take place in the Mission District of San Francisco. It’s also a sex pun (I’ll get to that later). And the fact four, well-to-do, progressive white people—again, keep reading—are repping the Mission so hard is another pertinent layer.
- Lost Weekend Weekend: The Mission Position happens every Thursday at the realtime-landmark of Lost Weekend Video’s Cine/Cynic Cave. If you’re unfamiliar, the venue is THE place to see emergent comedy in San Francisco. We’ll look to Doc’s Lab to see if they can take the title of “Best Underground Comedy Spot” but, for now, and two years running, Lost Weekend is IT.
- Namesake: MP (Live) shares its title with a defunct local radio show. Matt Lieb and Kate Willett hosted the weekly diary of their sexual foibles amid other topics over the Radio Valencia airwaves. I don’t know if it’s still available but from its inception to its demise, I loved it dearly.
- Four Four Four Four (i.e. The Real Reason You Should Go): Matt Lieb. Kate Willett. Jessica Sele. Trevor Hill. Mission Position’s nucleus is four of the most impressive comedians in San Francisco. In the wild, individually, they are who you put on last to close the show or put on in the middle to save it. In their den, they’re taking risks, working out and getting weird. Immensely unique, legitimately interesting, and naturally talented, the Mission Position motley crew are, if not guaranteed hilarity, sincere and engaging. They’re cool, they’re searching, they’re the next, great San Francisco comedy tradition (until they move away because they’re super talented).
- It’s a LIVE ALBUM TAPING. Whatever happens, it will be crystallized forever, whether on a digital media outlet, or shamefully tucked away on somebody’s external hard drive. If there’s no extra incentive to hear your laugh on somebody’s hope’s and dreams, see your involvement (i.e. going to the show) as relief for four artists who are probably stressed out right now.
The Mission Position happens every Thursday, 8PM at Lost Weekend Video (1034 Valencia St. San Francisco). Tickets are $10.
Episode 9: R & R (w/ Jane Harrison) | Blackstronauts!
Okay. I’m on full on shill mode for this, BUT, I’ll give the Courting Comedy audience insight the latest episode of the Blackstronauts!
- We went on the expedition on June 8th 2014. We released the album on September 8th 2014. [Space Serendipity! Laziness]
- Jane Harrison hounded me three different times to put the episode up, proving that it takes someone’s forceful support to get me to do ANYTHING
- After the spa we drank and talked on Jane’s roof. San Francisco is a beautiful city.
- Ash Clayton (aka Areospace Systems Hub), Sylvan’s resident musician and sound engineer, was not present at the recording of this episode (despite it taking place in his bedroom at SylvanHouse)
- Ash and I edited the show. I wish recorded that as well because we’re constantly finding filters and features that amuses the shit out of us. It often leads to things like this.
- I skipped lunch at my real job to post and promote this episode. Isn’t my possible termination worth a listen?
- This episode marks the creation of our Facebook Page. “Like” for exclusive clips, art and updates.
Katie Compa (SF00s) “Only if I bomb” katiecompa #yesallcomics @katiecompa