That’s right, I’ve lowered myself to writing lists, but fuck it, trends are made to be bandwaggoned. Here are 5 reasons why you should go to the live album recording The Mission Position on 9/11/14.
- It’s Geographically Accurate: The Mission Position actually DOES take place in the Mission District of San Francisco. It’s also a sex pun (I’ll get to that later). And the fact four, well-to-do, progressive white people—again, keep reading—are repping the Mission so hard is another pertinent layer.
- Lost Weekend Weekend: The Mission Position happens every Thursday at the realtime-landmark of Lost Weekend Video’s Cine/Cynic Cave. If you’re unfamiliar, the venue is THE place to see emergent comedy in San Francisco. We’ll look to Doc’s Lab to see if they can take the title of “Best Underground Comedy Spot” but, for now, and two years running, Lost Weekend is IT.
- Namesake: MP (Live) shares its title with a defunct local radio show. Matt Lieb and Kate Willett hosted the weekly diary of their sexual foibles amid other topics over the Radio Valencia airwaves. I don’t know if it’s still available but from its inception to its demise, I loved it dearly.
- Four Four Four Four (i.e. The Real Reason You Should Go): Matt Lieb. Kate Willett. Jessica Sele. Trevor Hill. Mission Position’s nucleus is four of the most impressive comedians in San Francisco. In the wild, individually, they are who you put on last to close the show or put on in the middle to save it. In their den, they’re taking risks, working out and getting weird. Immensely unique, legitimately interesting, and naturally talented, the Mission Position motley crew are, if not guaranteed hilarity, sincere and engaging. They’re cool, they’re searching, they’re the next, great San Francisco comedy tradition (until they move away because they’re super talented).
- It’s a LIVE ALBUM TAPING. Whatever happens, it will be crystallized forever, whether on a digital media outlet, or shamefully tucked away on somebody’s external hard drive. If there’s no extra incentive to hear your laugh on somebody’s hope’s and dreams, see your involvement (i.e. going to the show) as relief for four artists who are probably stressed out right now.
The Mission Position happens every Thursday, 8PM at Lost Weekend Video (1034 Valencia St. San Francisco). Tickets are $10.